11 Comments

1. PeterTheHe
    March 14, 2016 @ 6:51 am

I’m not technically the assigned editor but you should say “program” instead of “programme”. If possible, do include (or add a GitHub/Bitbucket/whatever link to) your (fully-commented) code.

Thanks 🙂

2. Cormac Larkin
    March 14, 2016 @ 9:14 pm

Hi Peter, thanks for your observation, I didn’t know the difference existed :). The code itself is nearly 500 lines long (depending on the version), I’d say it wouldn’t be feasible to publish the code.

• PeterTheHe
      April 16, 2016 @ 10:16 am

Hi Cormac,
      Can you publish the code onto a code hosting website? Perhaps GitHub? As far as code is concerned, 500 lines isn’t particularly long (I’ve published thousands of lines for game jams); it would be very useful for anyone reading the paper and would prevent confusion over things like “Determine”. I can get you set up with Git (it should be easy since you’ve got experience with PuTTY).

I also think you ought to put in a graphical representation of Minimax to aid less tech-savvy readers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimax#/media/File:Minimax.svg should be suffice.

Thanks,
      Peter

EDIT: I also fixed a typo.

3. Cormac Larkin
    March 14, 2016 @ 9:20 pm

I changeed the programme to program and once I did so and tried to save it the server error came up and it wiped the changes. Is there a way to stop that happening?

4. Rachel Hyde
    March 31, 2016 @ 7:36 am

Hi Cormac, at the moment we are experiencing some technical issues. I can only suggest that you press the save button after every change you make, therefore you won’t lose a significant change all at once. I’ve noticed that after re-inserting the wiped change, the change saves properly. I’m sorry that I can’t be of any more help.

Best wishes,
    Rachel

5. Cormac Larkin
    April 2, 2016 @ 9:42 pm

Hi Rachel,
    I tried that and it seems to work. I’ve changed programme to program throughout the document. Thanks for the help!
    All the best,
    Cormac

6. Cormac Larkin
    April 5, 2016 @ 7:57 pm

NB: This was a group project, is there a way to add the names of my teammates to the article as authors? The text is from our project report, which we wrote as a group. Their names are Nathaniel Grant and Conor McKeown.

• A.Samad
      April 5, 2016 @ 9:33 pm

Hey,

They’d both need to create accounts on YSJ, if you see the ‘Co-Authors’ tab and click ‘invite new user’, sending a request to their emails should do the trick.

7. A.Samad
    April 12, 2016 @ 8:48 am

Cormack,

Under the heading ‘Adapted Program’ – there is a sentence which says ‘the determine selects the optimal move based on the minimax algorith’

I’m not sure if that is correct. Could you explain what the determine is?

8. Cormac Larkin
    April 12, 2016 @ 12:16 pm

“Determine” is what we called that part of the code. It’s the part that picks the move based on the Minimax values and ensures it isn’t already occupied by a player already.

9. Cormac Larkin
    April 20, 2016 @ 7:55 am

Hi Peter,
    we’ve prepared a version of the code for publishing (various iterations were used) and will upload it shortly. The image isn’t a problem but I think the wikipedia one may confuse readers as the values aren’t constrained to 1,0 and -1 as in our work. I’ll try to find one that reflects the zero-sum nature of our project. Also, the word “parallelisation” is correct (as an alternative to parallelization- https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/parallelisation) according to our supervisors at ICHEC, and when I googled “parallisation” I was redirected to “parallelisation”.
    All the best,