WIRED UK is launching a competition for school children aged 12-16 years old to win two tickets to WIRED 2013: Next Generation which is a one day event taking place in London on 19th October 2013 which will bring together innovators from the worlds of technology, science, the arts, and business to inspire, to educate and to motivate, with talks, workshops and hands-on product demonstrations.
Pupils are asked to design a mobile app (for tablet or smartphone) that solves a problem that they specify. They can submit their app design in any form: as sketches on digital files or paper, as design wire-frames, or as a fully-functioning app. The judges will not penalise entries submitted as sketches or wireframes, but they will take into consideration the effort expended to create functioning apps.
Entries will be judged on the following:
1. Originality of idea
2. Creativity of the solution
3. Feasibility of the app
Each submission must include the following:
1. A written explanation of the problem you are trying to solve with the app (no more than 300 words)
2. A written explanation of the idea for an app that will solve your problem (no more than 300 words)
3. A written explanation of how the app would work – what resources would be needed, which sensors on the mobile device would it use? (no more than 300 words)
4. Supplementary material (optional) – in addition to the written submission, you can attach any digital file e.g. a fully coded app, wireframe, video or sketches.